Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Amalfi (Day 3) & Positano, Italy

    September 3, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 82 °F

    What we did:
    - Last day with Helen and Brian!
    - Early 6:30am wake up to hike the “Path of the Gods”. Easy bus ride up to Agerolo to do our 3hr hike. Pregame snack of Italian pastries to get our minds right.
    - Gorgeous day and great views from the hike! About 3 hours winding along the cliffs overlooking Priano, Positano, and the Mediterranean. Helen deserves a big shoutout for conquering her fears on some sheer cliffs. Her knees never touched the ground so she didn’t technically crawl a few parts, but it was close! Trent somehow was totally good (Switzerland may have him permanently numb, or he just had to put on a good face for the parents). Great Granitas to celebrate the accomplishment!
    - After the hike the intent was to take a bus from Positano back to our apartment, but there must have been some massive cliff accident that had all traffic stopped. We watched a helicopter drop medics in, so praying for whoever was involved! Italian media doesn't really publish accidents there, likely for the sole purpose of not freaking out the tourists.. definitely a bit validating for Helen’s roadside fears though.
    - The hour following the hike was a bit chaotic as we went on what can only be classified as an absolute 30 minute death march down to the Positano pier to catch the only ferry that would allow us to make our dinner reservation. We put on a clinic in speed walking as we weaved around tourists actually enjoying one of the prettier towns in the world. Once at the pier we found ourselves in what felt like an apocalyptic evacuation as hundreds (thousands?) of people fought to get onto the ferry (since the roads were closed). Somehow we all managed to find a lane onto the ferry and watched as hundreds remained behind. Families and couples were split up, sounds dramatic but it was bedlam! The group enjoyed the scenic coastline in silence as we decompressed.
    - The group showered, had some pregame beers/wine and grabbed a bus and ferry back to Positano for dinner. Very peaceful this time around! Fun to see the coast from the ferry as we pointed out all the places we had either boated or hiked throughout the week.
    - Nice walk through town, with Steph still admiring the Italian pergolas and designing our future backyard like an Italian courtyard.
    - Dinner to celebrate Brian’s 60th birthday! Rooftop view overlooking Positano and the ocean. Gorgeous sunset over the city followed by the cool view of the mountain-side city lighting up. Great time of conversation and recapping the trip, capped off by the waiter getting the entire restaurant to sing happy birthday to Brian… much to his embarrassment.
    - Took Limoncello shots and enjoyed a couple of nightcap drinks at the restaurant bar after dinner. Brian with the quote of the trip “I hate to tell you guys a sad story….but my pee was orange today”. Steph/Helen/Trent in tears laughing 😂
    - Expensive cab home with a driver that insisted on showing us pictures of his granddaughter (and his sons painted toe nails) most of the trip instead of actually watching the cliff-side road. He might have broken Helen with fear
    - End of an awesome time with Helen/Brian! Very fortunate they were able to visit. Memories for a lifetime!

    What we ate
    - Coffee and eggs at airbnb again
    - Pastries at Panaificio in Agerola
    - Snack lunch of granola bars and chips.
    - Helen had a healthy dose of fear all day long
    - Dinner at Adamo ed Eva in Positano. Apps of Fried Prawns on a bed of avocado, fried zucchini flowers, and super fresh Caprese salad. Dinner of seafood pasta for Helen/Trent/Brian and truffle pasta for Steph. Delicious!

    Fun facts:
    - We discovered that Trent is less scared of heights when he is around someone that is even more terrified of heights (i.e. Helen)
    Read more