Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Nice, France (Day 3) - St Paul De Vence

    September 11, 2023 in France ⋅ ☀️ 82 °F

    What we did:
    - Started the day off with a touristy spot for crepes! The crepes were not anything to write home about, but scratched the itch. We then took a Bolt over to Cap Ferrat for a walk, or as Joe says “hike” around the cape. There is a massive harbor full of yachts and beautiful billion dollar homes that line the cape. It is opulence at its best! We strolled around the cape for about an hour and grabbed a lemonade before heading back to the Airbnb for a quick turnaround before our afternoon tour.
    - Jenna had booked us a wine tasting and medieval town tour. The shuttle picked us and two other couples up (oddly one couple was from Chicago and the other from Kansas City - so it was a very midwestern shuttle)! We arrived at a small family owned winery for a tasting of 6 wines. All wines were delicious we tried a couple of whites, an orange, a rose, and a couple of red wines.
    - Jenna and Steph bought a bottle of rose for the group to drink when we got back. We were then shuttled to a small medieval town call St. Paul De Vence. We walked around the old cobble street town and stopped in shops before grabbing a couple of sangrias outside the city walls with a view at Restaurant La Sierra. We were then shuttled back to the Airbnb.
    - While everyone got ready for dinner we drank the Rose and played a couple rounds of Euchre. We then headed up the street to a local Lebanese restaurant. We were first sat outside at an edge table and for a good 30 mins had no waiter, before some drunk stumbled nearby and started violently puking and farting. Appalled, the group moved inside and requested a waiter. Joe subtly dropped that his Dad is from Lebanan and Bam! we immediately became first class diners with super attentive service. Joe picked up one of their pitas and based on the floppiness and weight instantly declared the restaurant legit and actually imported from Lebanon - as a pita stickler, this was a big win! Food was delicious.
    - We then ran into the Chicago couple from our wine tour on the way back to the Airbnb. Both groups tried to unsuccessfully avoid eachother before saying quick hellos and goodbyes.

    What we ate:
    - Crepes at Creperie Suzette
    - Quick salads from Healthy salad
    - Lebanese food at Le Socrate. Lebanese wine, pita, lamb, and chicken brochettes, Taboule and other things that only Joe knows

    Fun facts:
    - There is a large Lebanese population in France, and therefore lots of Mediterranean, middle eastern, and Lebanese type restaurants! This was a must during our time with Jenna and Joe.
    - The buildings in St. Paul date back to the 16th and 17th centuries.
    - Orange wine is a new “trendy” wine. Wine enthusiasts don’t really know what to do with it because it doesn’t have a set profile to correctly categorize those wines other than the “orange” color. In other words, when you order an Orange wine it could have an entirely different flavor, acidic profile, and alcohol content than another orange wine and is therefore hard to say that it’s truly its own category, unlike a rose or red or white.
    Read more