Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Nice, France (Day 4) - Villefranche

    September 12, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 79 °F

    What we did:
    - BOAT DAY!!! Woke up and grabbed bagels on our walk to meet our boat driver Cyrille. Had the boat from 10am - 6pm. Absolutely the best day of our time with Jenna and Joe with sunny 85 degree weather, good company and great drinks (shoutout Joe with the John Daly's).
    - Captain Cyrille was super laid back and his boat was awesome. Turns out he lives on this boat during the summer while his wife and three year old daughter stay back at his house in Beaune. Wild lifestyle. He was going to a tradeshow the next day to try and trade his current boat in for a new one that was one meter bigger… his goal was to do that enough times to end up with a yacht
    - The captain took us all along the French Riviera from Nice to near Monaco with two great swimming stops along the way. We stopped in Saint Jean Cap Ferrat harbour (the cape that we walked around the day before) and Villefranche. The Mediterranean water >>>. So clear and buoyant it was amazing floating around admiring the hilly coastline and stacks of super yachts in the harbor
    - The captain had a paddle board for the group to enjoy, resulting in the chaos of us all trying to get on the board at the same time. Confirmed Trent has zero balance or athleticism as he made everyone crash into the water on each attempt. The captain also had masks for snorkeling through the schools of blue fish.
    - After the boat, the group all showered and headed to the old town in Nice for dinner. We attempted to go to Chez Memer, a restaurant recommended by our wine tour guide, but it was closed. Steph found The Rossettisserie nearby which specialized in French countryside food. We spent a majority of the dinner trying to teach Trent how to say “Merci”. It appears Trent is unable to say it without a southern accent (see video). Jury is still out on whether or not he has it down at this point - I guess we will find out when we return to France in a month!
    - We enjoyed a nightcap of wine and Euchre at the apartment with another Jenna/Joe win. Jenna/Joe - 2 and Steph/Trent 0.

    What we ate:
    - Bagels at Steinglold bagels
    - Delicious Homemade sandwiches with fresh French bread, pesto, tomatoes, avocados, and assorted deli meats
    - Dinner at The Rossettisserie. Trent got the mixed grilled meat plate with mashed potatoes (potatoes on Steph’s request), Steph got the beef plate with ratatouille, Joe got the lamb plate with ratatouille, Jenna got the vegetarian plate with potatoes and ratatouille.

    Fun facts:
    - Trent and Joe decided they don’t want, but in fact need, to be rich as the superyachts and super villas are just so enticing. Business plan to be released winter of 2023. Stay tuned folks, angel investors will be welcome.
    - The houses on Saint Jean Cap Ferrat are 90,000 Euros per square foot! Paul Allen and soccer legend Zlatan live there. The coast is full of celeb homes including Brad Pitt, Elton John, Bono, Tina Turner, and many many more.
    - The world’s third most expensive home is in Villefranche. The Villa Leopolda in Villefranche is valued at $750M. Built for a prior king of Belgium it’s now owned by the banker Edmond Sofra.
    - One of the super yachts we saw had a second massive boat that is the “toy boat” to hold all of the super yacht's playthings. Very casual...
    - 300 days of sunshine on the French Riviera a year. Feels like Chicago has 300 days of clouds.
    Read more