Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    Mayrhofen, Austria

    September 26, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    What we did:
    - Arrived in Mayrhofen later in the afternoon after our Seiser Alm hike. Trent had a rough driving experience as most of the highway we were on for 2 hours were under construction, limited lanes, with lots of trucks. We had discovered a new podcast to listen to which allowed the road trip to go pretty fast (for those interested: Strike Force Five podcast with the five late night hosts who are currently not working due to the writers strike in LA). We arrived in a sleepy ski town and found a nice place to eat dinner. We then went to bed early in order to get up for our hike the next day.
    - Drove 40 minutes to the Olpererhutte hike. We decided to go the shorter but more strenuous route so we could capitalize on our time in Garmisch the next few days. The hike was all up hill for about 1.5 - 2 hours to reach the final destination, the Olpererhutte rifugio. The hike was very scenic, although semi populated. Had views of the beautiful blue reservoir while we hiked through forests and boulders. We reached the rifugio and grabbed some food while we enjoyed the view and nice weather. Also had some of our first German food - a sausage plate, some potatoes, cheese, and fish! We hiked 10 minutes in the other direction to get to the famous suspension bridge where we planned to take a couple of pictures. Unfortunately, many other people had the same idea which resulted in a ton of people waiting in line to get on the bridge and take one of several posed pictures before switching with the next person in line. We opted out of this and hiked a semi precarious route through the river to get around the people. Turned back at some point and headed back down the mountain! On to Garmisch!

    What we ate:
    - Dinner at BrasserieQ. We were both feening for a hearty meal so we got a couple of steaks with some veggies, mashed potatoes, and a side salad.
    - Breakfast at the hotel. Yogurt, fruit, hard boiled eggs, toast.
    - Lunch at Olpererhutte: German sausage plate, variety of German cheese, fish, and two baked potatoes.

    Fun facts:
    - Due to our Croatian license plate, we’ve now had at least three people come up to us and start talking to us in Croatian. We also have a lot of people staring at our rental car. It’s unclear whether the stares are from the Croatian plates or the fact that we’re driving a nicer car (a Jaguar).
    Read more