Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 53

    Garmisch, Germany (Days 1 & 2)

    September 27, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 73 °F

    What we did:
    - Arrived in Garmisch late in the day after our Olpererhutte hike in Mayrhofen. This is our BEST lodging of the trip! Massive space, two balconies with views of the mountains, and a big jacuzzi tub for soaking our worn out hiking muscles! Knowing that we were about to have 5 straight days of schnitzel and sausages, coupled with the fact that we were definitely over Italian food again, we opted for Asian fusion takeout. Picked up our food and enjoyed our favorite Airbnb with a relaxing night in. Slept in and got about 10 hours of sleep that night. We also decided we were going straight sober the next few days in preparation of Oktoberfest, suffice to say we were well rested and feeling good!
    - Trent found his best option for a haircut (one that didn’t look like they give “Hitler Youth” haircuts) in town. Although he came back pretty shook up, as the cut happened very quickly and there was some combination of baby powder and flame used to make him smell good and get rid of his ear hair and unibrow. After several reassurances from Steph, Trent has decided he is “OK” with his haircut. Trent went for a run and Steph continued to catalog previous trip pictures and look at wedding venues (yes, Helen and Sally we are thinking about having an actual wedding)!
    - Drove to Lake Eibsee and took a walk around the lake. Had a conversation about whether or not we are desensitized to beautiful lakes now that we have visited at least 7 during our time here.
    - Headed to the main strip to check out the downtown area. Given the previous point on cuisines that we are tired of and have available to us, we decided on a burger joint. Great burgers and great place for dinner! Headed home early to get some sleep before heading to Munich the next day!
    - Woke up a bit earlier to go to a very promising Wafflhaus in town. Showed up along with 9 other Americans to discover that the restaurant was closed. Yet again validating that Americans are the only ones looking for breakfast in Europe.
    - Headed to Ludwigstraße to look at the painted buildings and grab coffees and a pastry. Found a cute little bakery and hung out with the old German women as they gossiped and we ate some great German baked goods!
    - Headed over to Partnachklamm gorge for a quick hike. We preferred this gorge over the one we visited in Slovenia because the rock faces were far more impressive and there were cool caves to walk through. We said goodbye to our favorite Airbnb and headed out to Munich!

    What we ate:
    - May Man asian fusion: Pho, pad Thai, fried rice, edamame, and gyoza
    - Coffee, breakfast bars, and leftover Asian food for brunch
    - Shaka Burgerhouse: Avocado burger for Steph and Kramer Slamer burger for Trent. Ice Tea and water for drinks 😁
    - Bakery: Pretzel, sandwich, apple filled donut, and coffee cake
    - McDonalds on the road to Munich…shame

    Fun facts:
    - The 1936 Olympics were held in Garmisch. Trent claims to have never seen a ski jump in real life (Pohlman’s will have to fact check this).
    Read more