Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Salzburg, Austria

    October 2, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    What we did:
    - Woke up at 6 to catch our train at the same time as the crew headed to their flight…. We decided to just say goodbye and go back to bed until 10. What’s vacation for if you don’t get to do what you want?!
    - Caught the 10-12pm train. Left our luggage at the train station locker and then set out to tour the city. We grabbed Viennese lunch at a super cool hillside biergarten overlooking the city and knocked back some Austrian Stiegl beers to cut the post-Oktoberfest malaise
    - We toured the hilltop Salzburg Palace, enjoying the expansive views of the city, river and surrounding mountains. So cool to see a city closely nestled into the mountains and farm country.
    - Wandered around the city some more, with Steph popping in to Foot Locker get some fresh new kicks! Oktoberfest wreaked havoc on the old ones. Got some icy all-white On Clouds to look like a true European🔥🔥🔥
    - Checked into our BnB and then headed out to a delicious Vietnamese restaurant! Great palate cleanser after all the German/Austrian food. On the way, we walked through the beautiful Mirabell gardens with cool views of the palace! Loved the riverfront walk as well.
    - To make Doug proud we capped the night by watching Sound of Music! (Dougs favorite movie). The opening credits were essentially a Salzburg highlight tape so fun to see all the places we hit that day! Only got a 1/3rd through before sleep took us in.

    What we ate:
    - Munich Train station croissants and coffee
    - Lunch at Restaurant Stiegl-Keller. Trent got official Viennese Schnitzel, Steph got beer cheese soup and we split a potato salad. Great vibes!
    - We both got absolutely delicious (and spicy) pho and split spring rolls and spicy noodles for dinner at “Uncle Van Steingasse”. Very traditional despite the name.

    Fun facts:
    - Sunday night in Munich Trent was in the bar bathroom when 6 absolutely hammered douchebag Americans in their late 30’s/early 40’s came in. One of them proceeded to break the porcelain toilet in half… an absolute feat. Anyway we ended up in the same train car as the douchebags to Salzburg. They started making fun of an old German man who couldn't lift his suitcase and then got in a fight with another, before harassing the train ticket lady to give them 1st class tickets so they could drink beers. We then stumbled into them again at our quaint Salzburg lunch. They were causing a ruckus again, screaming, and chugging beers. Why do our countrymates insist on hitting our stereotypes so hard?
    - Uncle Doc told us that Salzburg was his favorite city he went to in Europe
    - Trent claims he had never seen Sound of Music before. Parents confirmed that it turns out he has multiple times, but was just a punk teenager and sat on his phone the whole time. Kid had a street cred to live up to and couldn’t be caught dead watching a musical…. such a brat.
    - The Salzburg palace is nicknamed “unconquerable”. Not surprising as both Steph and Trent were huffing and puffing after the walk up to the palace perched on the hill.
    Read more