Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 59

    Hallstatt, Austria

    October 3, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 81 °F

    What we did:
    - Caught an 8-10:30 train to Halstatt. From the train station you take a picturesque boat/ferry across the lake into town. With lush mountains surrounding the lake and a 75 and sunny day we were sold! Halstatt is tiiiight.
    - We wandered around the quaint town - Switzerland-esque with all log cabins and endless flowers/greenery throughout. Fortunately tourist levels were low when we were there so it was a nice experience! Can’t imagine it in high season
    - We took a furnicular up to the top of the mountain to really get the expansive views across the lake and mountains. Grabbed a beer and apple strudels at the mountain top restaurant and hungout! As the restaurant got busy, a Chinese lady asked to join us at our picnic table so we said sure… then her family of 5 comes in and all wedges in. 7 of us in a 3-4 person picnic table was nooot the move. Our shocked face at the large family must have made them realize they needed to find another table so fortunately they didn't stay long.
    - Took the furnicular down and enjoyed a great meal in a garden along the lake. Walked around some more and then took the boat and train back to Salzburg. Great day trip!!
    - It was 8 by the time we got back so grabbed some to-go food in old town. We ate in the Airbnb while watching some more Sound of Music before calling it early.
    - On to Budapest to meet up with Sally/Doug!! So excited for the upcoming week

    What we ate:
    - Salzburg Train station croissants and coffees
    - Coffee, beers, and Apple strudel at the top of the Hallstatt funicular restaurant. Voted best Apple strudel of the trip thus far.
    - Lunch in Halstatt at Braugastoff where we split bacon-wrapped chicken and a turkey salad
    -Quick take home dinner of poke and salads in Salsburg at Dean & David’s. We need to franchise this place in the US!! So good and lots of selection - need more fast casual healthy spots back home

    Fun facts -
    - In late August the residents of Halstatt made worldwide news with massive protests and became the new poster for rebelling against overtourism. A town of only 700 residents, it gets 10,000 visitors a day in the summer! Residents recognize the value of tourists, but want a ban on tour buses after 3pm. All throughout the city there were signs in Chinese, English and German telling tourists to be respectful. First time we saw the Chinese language on signs anywhere in Europe so we’ll let you draw the connection to the tour bus ban.
    - There was on 06’ chinese romantic comedy filmed in Hallstatt that boosted its popularity and actually led China to literally build a replica Hallstatt back home..
    Read more