Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Fortress Hohensalzburg, St Peters Square

    August 8, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☀️ 63 °F

    We got up and had breakfast in the room, and then walked down to the central part of Salzburg hugging the castle wall. We went up to Hohensalzburg Castle. It was a very long steep climb up from the city, especially right where you enter the castle. When we got there we noticed there was a cog railway that ran up and down the hill that would have been a good idea to take because by the time we walked from our hotel through the city up to the castle and the steep entrance. Then we walked all around the castle inside and walked around for the afternoon. Our feet were beat. Purchase the full tour ticket to see all areas of the castle, it is only €4 more.
    You can also buy these tickets online and it is less expensive online. We then toured the castle and went into the museum. Impressive collection of medieval armor weapons and WW I Austrian military uniforms and weapons. There are portions of the castle where they show restoration work and expose the old walls which is very cool. The interior chamber for the archbishop is amazingly decorated, and there is a tile stove for heating. Heating one of the two rooms was heated by the most ornate stove in Europe. All in all it takes about 3 or 4 hours to see everything in the castle and there are lots of stairs. Given that this was a castle and grounds that was occupied since about 700 AD by various archbishops it is very impressive and was our favorite site. We then went down from the castle and had a nice lunch at an Austrian restaurant with bratwurst and sauerkraut. The restaurant was on the horse carriage tour so we heard the clip clop of horse hooves while we dined. We then went over to St. Peters cathedral, cemetary and atrium and looked at the sepulchres and the catacombs. In the sound of music film, this is where Maria and the children hid from the Nazis. The catacombs are quite small with only two large rooms, but the view down is cool. We then went back to the entrance of the downtown area and thankfully grabbed the number 10 bus, and rode it back to our hotel area. We left town and got some oil for the rental caryes, leaks...😡33 euros per quart for the car and headed towards Unterneukirken. The highway follows the German Austrian border and goes through some of the most lovely fertile farm fields and forests glens I've ever seen. The corn is six feet tall. The grain has been mowed in most places and the fields are full of green luscious grass with an occasional pasture of cows grazing contentedly. The Raspl restaurant was completely full, and the hotel is lovely. We had a late dinner with some delicious dark beer and bruchetta salmon and tomato toast.
    Read more