Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Can Tho day 2

    March 2, 2020 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Started the day off waking up at 4.30. Had to get ready for a river cruise. Met my mates outside my hostel. Met the tour guide and the two other people. Got driven to a small dock where we boarded a smallish boat. 6 people in total. The boat set off down the river, headed for the floating markets. On our way there we we're blessed with an amazing sunrise. The orange hue of the sun was simply breath taking. After a few minutes gawking at the sunrise we continued towards the Cai Ran floating market. We found out Cai Ran means crocodile tooth in Vietnamese. We sailed through the limited amount of ships selling wholesale fruits and veg. There weren't as many ships as I had expected. Nonetheless it was great to see the different kinds of produce each ship sold. After passing through the Cai Ran market we moved on towards a smaller 'market'. It wasn't really a market more so a bunch of ships gathered together selling meals, singular fruits and snacks. We all got to have pho on the river which was delicious. It was fun seeing how all the boats interacted with each other. If they thought you wanted something they'd hook the boat to yours. Our tour guide bought some mangoes, fresh and fried bananas and dragonfruit. When we all finished our pho we headed off towards a fruit farm. The farm itself was cool, it had a lot of different fruits growing. The experience though was a little underwhelming. We didn't get to pick anything, just look and take photos. After our quick tour of the area we relaxed in mini cafe. I ordered a papaya juice. It tasted as advertised, no sweetener, just juiced papaya, which was quite refreshing. We relaxed for a out 15-20 mins before we moved on to a rice paper factory.

    The factory was one of two in the area and the less touristy of the two. All their machinery and equipment was under a straw hut. The tour guide went through the process of making the rice paper step by step. We then got to churn out noodles. After having a quick sit down and snacks we headed back to the drop off.

    My friends and I caught a taxi back to our hostel and agreed to meet up later. I was so tired that as soon as I lay down I was out cold. I woke up 2 hours later to a few messages saying we're at a cafe. I packed my things and headed off to meet my mates.

    We discussed our plans and had coffee. The place was quiet and peaceful. When we finished our plans and drinks we went on the lookout for food. We decided to go to the baguette place from yesterday. After our little snack we meandered of to some markets to look for some souvenirs. Found nothing. At 6 pm we went and had dinner at local food stalls. I had a variety of skewers, which were delicious. To wash it down we went to a coffee shop across the road. After coffee we headed back.
    Read more