Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 5 - To Ile d'Orleans

    September 27, 2023 in Canada ⋅ 🌙 55 °F

    Packed up and went for breakfast up St louis street to La Buche (the Log). We’d seen this place with a line outside it so figured it was good. Inside, they asked if we had reservations (for breakfast?) which we didn’t, so we waited and took in the bustling, lumberjack themed eatery – pine picnic tables, lumbering tools on the walls, wait staff in checked flannel shirts and jeans. We had a standard breakfast that was worth the wait.

    Back to the hotel to check out and put the suitcases in the car. Gail opted to hang around the hotel while Marie and Bruce walked up to the citadel. Marie went walking out onto the Plains of Abraham while Bruce went into the citadel. The next tour in English in the citadel was at 11:30; that would be too late to get back to the hotel for our 13:00 hotel tour appointment so he didn’t go in. Marie hailed Bruce as he walked in the Plains and they walked back down the Governor’s Promenade (a shady, boardwalk and steps climbing from the front of the hotel to the citadel).

    Met Gail on the boardwalk in front of the hotel and caught our tour group. A man in period dress came to lead us through the Frontenac. He explained the history of the site and the many forts, dwellings, and hotels that had been built on the site. He explained the different stages of construction of the present edifice and the architects and builders who created it. He led us inside and explained some of the interior details. We walked through several of the dinning rooms (currently closed) and he pointed out more architectural details. He showed us the herb gardens on the 3rd floor and one of the staterooms. Gail was a bit disappointed that we didn’t see more but we did learn a lot.

    We drove through town and along the north shore of the St Lawrence, heading for our next destination, Ile d’Orleans. We were early so we passed the bridge leading to the island and continued to the Basilica and Shrine of Saint Anne de Beaupre. Expecting a small church and worship center, we were surprised at the large, modern granite structure in the middle of the fields. We entered the basilica grotto (under the sanctuary) and were struck by the low vaulted ceiling and blue hue. The walls were covered with frescos depicting Canadian (Quebecois) religious personages. Then we walked up the stairs to the incredible main church! The soaring columns and stained-glass windows were fantastic. There was art everywhere: paintings on the walls, carved stone on the columns, mosaics in the vestibule, copper door panels, and on and on. We’ve been to many churches in Europe and the Americas but this Basilica ranks among the most beautiful we’ve seen.

    We headed back to the bridge for the island and crossed over. Missed the turn to the hotel so got a bit of a tour of the south side of the island. Found the small, quaint Auberge Goeliche on the west point of Ile d’Orleans. Checked in and walked around the little Quai until dinner at the Auberge. A tasty, leisurely meal. Now finishing this and to bed, anticipating a good day tomorrow.
    Read more