Satellitt
Vis på kartet
  • Dag 10

    Day 9 - Gaspe Area

    2. oktober 2023, Canada ⋅ ☀️ 46 °F

    Pic of the Perce Rock in the morning. Breakfast at the hotel then headed out of town, after a stop at the tourist info center – got brochures! The hour+ drive to Forillon National Park was picturesque. We stopped at the waterfall in the park (no name). Marie and Bruce hiked down the steep but short path to the base of the falls and back up. Went in the park’s north entrance and stopped to rig a temporary fix for the mud flap that got pulled off.

    Got info from the park ranger and drove to Cap Bon Ami. Walked down to the point and took in the view back to the Cap de Rosiers lighthouse. Marie and Bruce decided to walk across to the south side while Gail drove around to meet us. The trail climbed steeply over the bones of the Appalachian Mountains that drop into the Gulf here. One of the trails that ends here is called the International Appalachian Trail (IAT). After cresting the ridge on Mount St Albans, the south side was much gentler. We met Gail at the Grande Grave parking lot.

    Drove back through Gaspe, stopping to see the Jaques Cartier monument (which doesn't look at all like a European) and the standing plaques that tell the story of his beneficent (ha!) first visit. We read other accounts that painted a much more oppressive picture of his encounters with the local first peoples. Back at the hotel we freshened up, then went for dinner at La Maison du Pecheurs (house of fishermen) for a good meal of local fish. Now deciding what to do tomorrow. Perce Rock in the evening.
    Les mer