Satellite
  • Day 99

    Mountain Ride & Tiger Falls

    May 24, 2016 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    This was the last bike adventure of Da Lat. This was also Josh's first ever day of riding a moped and he'd already seen Chris take a little fall. We decided to try and summit a mountain that we could see using a contour map.

    There were no tracks or roads showing on or phones and so we just headed up along small winding dirt paths. As we got higher the road definitely became less travelled to the point where we weren't following a specific path, more just trying to stay on an even surface. The drop offs beside us were staggering and if we had tilted a little too much one side our bikes, and most likely us, would have been written off smashing into trees down a very steep slope.

    I almost had a fall when my back tyre kicked out after getting caught on a root, Jack almost went off the side when his back tyre kicked out because of water and skidded with a third of his bike hanging over the precipice! Josh got stuck in a huge puddle as he tried to drive straight through it and got bogged down in the mud needing to be dragged out.

    We made it to the peak which is awesome but unfortunately it wasn't a summit with a view. We could just see forest all around us and the coffee plantations that were nestled in the troughs below. "It's about the journey, not the destination" sums up this completely. It sounds like an ordeal and there may have been trace amounts of stress during the experience but it was so much fun. This is what dirt bikes are for...next time.

    Our way down was the same but in reverse, just a hard brake on while rolling constantly! We went to find Tiger Falls which was nearby and as we arrived a local tried to overcharge us for parking. After we saw that bartering wasn't going to work we headed down the way a bit left our bikes, headed through the bush to get there. It was an average waterfall, not too much water but lots of rocks to laze about on which was needed after our little jaunt. After we left we headed back to Da Lat.
    Read more