Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Mamallapuram - Krishna's butter ball

    January 6 in India ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    We organised a driver through the Hotel driver who dropped us off. Price was the same as the quote we got through an online taxi firm but we decided to run with it. Not the nicest car and the driver barely spoke English though was a nice enough guy, not sure if we made the right decision there.

    First stop was Mamallapuram. A UNESCO heritage site for the very famous rock monuments dating from the 7th and 8th century. We arranged a guide so we make the most of the experience and it was worth it. Of course it rained again! The 1 rainy day in January average we have well and truly banked some days up for the net 4 years already and we are just starting!

    The first of the monument sites was Krishna’s Butterball. The balanced stone ball is completely natural and was given it’s name according to legend due to the lord Krishna often stealing butter from his mothers store. Over the years there has been many attempts to move the boulder due to worries that it may roll down. The first attempt was in 668AD the biggest attempt was in 1908 when the governor of the day used 7 elephants to try and move it but with no success. Kinda glad they failed!
    Read more