Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Palace Madurai

    January 11 in India ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    The accommodation choice of a ‘fully serviced apartment’ in the heart of Madurai turned out to be one of Dad’s less popular choices! Mum fought to get toilet paper and more than 1 tea bag. We had pre messaged the owners that we needed extra beds and they confirmed they would and there was an extra charge but when we got there it wasn’t ready to go. Was very frustrating to say the least. And there were lots of mosquito’s hanging around the place!
    Finding somewhere for dinner became a bit of a mission. We weren’t really in a tourist part of town so the driver took it upon himself to find somewhere that might work, and try and meet Lara’s demand for Momo’s!! We drove for so long we were hungry and prepared to eat just about anything! We found something that look liked a street food set up but it was just a real dirty and cheap food stand. Ordered some fries and pizza for the kids but they walked away from most of it. Mum and Dad held out for something better. The driver found a ‘mess’ restaurant that is apparently famous in this area. We really weren’t all that impressed with the food. Mum had just wanted a Veg restaurant after having such a good experience in Pondi. Next time..
    Next morning, first case of Delhi Belly goes to……. Dad! Not fully surprised, definitely not pleasant particularly with the limited supply of toilet paper on offer!! We deferred going out until the afternoon to see if things improved. Dad made it to the Palace (the only thing open at 1pm) but that was it. Back to the Hotel for him!
    Read more