Satellite
  • Day 264

    Cuidad Del México

    February 4, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    México City is a sprawling metropolis of 20 million people & twice the size of London, and everyone said not to drive in. That's without considering the 'Hoy No Circula' traffic restrictions that prevent foreign plates driving on Saturdays, as well as a different day of the week depending on the last digit of the license plate, plus some other random rules that completely baffled us! As Maya wasn't allowed on the buses or metro we had to cab it in, but fortunately Uber are here so an hours plus drive only cost us 15 bucks. We were definitely splashing out on our trip into the capital, and we stayed in a posh 5 star hotel - although this only cost $20 in taxes thanks to loyalty points left over from all that work travel :)

    We got dropped in Zócalo, or the historical centre. Mexico City really isn't dog friendly, and we had to tag-team it to visit the amazing Templar Mayor, which is the site of the ancient pyramids, but age is all relative and these were many centuries after the incredible Teotihuacan. Unfortunately most of it is still under modern buildings, or churches the Spanish built on the sacred sites.

    We checked into the hotel then squeezed in a 'quick' 2 hour visit of the jaw-dropping Museo Anthropologica, where we could have spent the whole day. They had fantastic displays of the entire history of man's journey around the world, as well as many amazing stone carvings from Teotihuacan and even a scale reproduction of one of the most ornate pyramids, complete with the long disappeared carvings and paintings.

    That evening we checked out the swanky Polanco district where we were based. We had an incredible burger and fries, complete with curry sauce. We found out about a secret club, and strolled down the street until we found a burly bouncer guarding an unmarked freezer door, and we knew we'd found the right place.

    In the morning we felt bad for Maya cooped up in the hotel room so took her through the massive park over the road, conveniently ignoring the no dogs sign (really, in a park?). We were planning on hopping in a cab when we noticed the main road was shut to traffic and was full of cyclists and runners, so we decided to walk the 6km instead taking in many sights on the way. By late afternoon we were dead on our feet so Ubered our way back to Elvis.
    Read more