Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Southern Wall Excavations

    May 14, 2019 in Palestine ⋅ ☀️ 82 °F

    Part of the Western Wall of the temple platform has been visible for centuries but in the last few decades, the Israeli authorities have excavated the southern portion of the Temple wall. This southern side of the Temple was the main entrance for the common folk, whereas the Priests and Levites had their own entrance from the higher eastern side. A paved road was discovered, the actual road that Jesus walked on to enter the temple. From the paved road, an enormous flight of steps excavated after 1967 leads to the Southern Wall. Though some of the steps have been repaired, the un-restored steps are from the first century and where Jesus would have walked to enter the temple. It is here from these steps that Jesus entered the Temple Mount and drove out the vendors and money exchangers who were exploiting the people as recorded in Matthew 21:12.
    It is also likely Peter stood on these steps to preach and where thousands were saved and baptized on the Day of Pentecost. Archaeological excavations uncovered numerous ritual immersion pools (miqva'ot) located near the southern steps leading up to the temple and were likely used for the baptisms. The account is recorded in Acts 2. “Therefore let all the house of Israel know for certain that God has made Him both Lord and Christ—this Jesus whom you crucified.” Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brethren, what shall we do?”. Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls."
    When Herod expanded the Temple Mount platform, he built a retaining wall of huge limestone blocks. These blocks, some weighing more than 100 tons, were cut from quarries at a higher level, just north of the Temple Mount, and put in place with pulleys and cranes.
    Read more