Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Mt. Bental

    May 10, 2019 in Syria ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Mt. Bental, located in the middle of the Golan Heights mountain range, is a 3,842-foot high inactive volcano. Bental means cinder stone. From Mt. Bental, the snow-capped Mt. Hermon can be seen. Mt Hermon's summit straddles the border between Syria and Lebanon. Partial slopes of Mt. Hermon are administered by Israel. While visiting Mt. Bental it was advised to keep to established paths in the area; Old Syrian minefields remain uncleared just off of these paths.
    During the Yom Kippur War of 1973, Israel used Mt. Bental as a mountain bunker. They were vastly outnumbered by Syrian tanks but succeeded against all odds in blocking the Syrian advances. It was one of the largest ever tank battles and was miraculously won by the Israelis with their small force of 160 tanks and 60 artillery pieces. The Syrians attacked with 1,500 tanks and 1,000 artillery pieces and were slowly mowed down by the much, much smaller Israeli force. The Israeli army suffered large casualties and by the time the battle was over, only 7 Israeli tanks were operational. After 900 of the Syrian tanks were destroyed, the Syrians turned and fled, leaving the land for the victorious Israelis. The valley below Mt. Bental is called the Valley of Tears in remembrance of the bloody battle that took place here.
    The Scriptures picture Mt. Hermon as a metaphor of majesty, blessing, and beauty (Psalm 89:12; 133:3; Song of Solomon 4:8). After 6 days at Caesarea Philippi, where Peter proclaimed Jesus was the Christ, Jesus took some off his disciples up on a high mountain. Caesarea Phillipi sits at the base of Mt. Hermon and maybe the “high mountain” where Jesus' disciples witnessed His was transfiguration. Matthew 17 records Jesus' His face shown like the sun, His garments became white as snow and Moses and Elijah appeared with Him. Then a voice out of a cloud said "This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!"
    Read more