Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    9/11 Living Memorial and Chords Bridge

    May 14, 2019 in Israel ⋅ ☀️ 90 °F

    In the evening we traveled outside of Jerusalem towards Yad Hashmona. While traveling, we passed the largest cemetery in Jerusalem, Har HaMenuchot, where the 9/11 Living Memorial Plaza is located. Though we did not stop here, I think it is important to include it. Israel is the only foreign country with a monument containing melted steel from the twin towers. The 9/11 memorial takes the form of an American flag, waving and transforming into a flame at the tip. A piece of melted metal from the ruins of the Twin Towers forms part of the base on which the monument rests. U.S. Ambassador to Israel Daniel B. Shapiro commented: "Here, at this painfully beautiful memorial site, we are a reminder to everyone that we, Americans and Israelis, stand together in a spirit of solidarity and commitment to the future."
    We also passed under the suspension bridge called the Chords Bridge. It was built in 2008 and is a welcoming main entrance to Jerusalem. With the cables as the strings, it symbolizes King David's harp. Just as the Space Needle has become a symbol of Seattle, so the Chords Bridge has become a symbol of Jerusalem.
    Read more