Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Silwan

    May 16, 2019 in Palestine ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    Silwan is a predominantly Palestinian neighborhood located just outside of the southeast wall of the Old City. East Jerusalem including Silwan was annexed by Israel following the 1967 Six-Day War. It is currently one of the hottest spots in the on-going war of words and violence between Palestinians and Israelis. Israelis believe more of the City of David lies below a neighborhood in Silwan which is home to some 5,000 Palestinians and 1000 Jewish settlers. Palestinians claim East Jerusalem as the capital of their future Palestinian state while Israeli’s contend all of Jerusalem is its capital and has belonged to them for thousands of years.
    Excavations are part of Israel’s campaign to strengthen their claim of East Jerusalem. Israeli tunnel excavations under Silwan in 2007 lead to the discovery of an ancient 2,000-year-old road. The road begins at the Shiloah Pool steps and travels to the Western Wall at Robinson’s Arch. The road has been named the “Pilgrimage Road,” and is likely the path Jesus and millions of Jewish pilgrims used to go up to the Temple. Excavations have also revealed evidence of David’s Palace and the City of David. Some Palestinians discredit all discoveries as lies. Just as some deny there was ever a Holocaust, Palestinians are trying to de-legitimize the Jews’ claim to all of Jerusalem and the land of Israel. Israeli’s say any future negotiation as to whether East Jerusalem could be the capital of a future Palestinian state would need to be based on the“archaeological truth” of the City of David.
    Jewish and Muslim homes can be easily distinguished. Jewish homes tend to be fortress-like buildings protected by high walls, fences, security cameras and in some cases by guards. The guards will chauffeur the families in armored vehicles. Some fly Israeli flags and display the star of David. Muslim homes use black water tanks on top of their homes.
    Read more