Satellite
  • Day 15

    Wicked and Wonderful Wanderings ...

    September 3, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    GRATITUDES: After almost 12 hours of sleep ... I was feeling a bit more rested.. we lazed in our loft bed while we added 2 nights in Utecht and 5 days in Paris to our itinerary.  We are hoping we will be as pleased with our accommodations in these places ( as well as Amsterdam) as we have been here in London. 😊

    We opted to get an "Oyster Card"  for our explorations today! This is like a prepaid card and gives us some freedom to come and go on the tubes without having to buy individual tickets! Oh my ... so far we've done well at mastering the tubes!

    Our first stop, at the great suggestion of our good neighbor Doug, was Greenwich.  I had failed to put it together that THIS Greenwich is the standard by which global times are oriented! It's fascinating to be at the center of time ... so to speak!!  It's a quaint little village filled with history and the The University of Greenwich is now where the Old Royal Navy College used to be.  The stone buildings are so mammoth and grand that they inherently command your respect! 

    And, after a nice little lunch at the Tipsy Moth (table 107 outside) we wandered this beautiful little haven on foot.  Only 8881 steps today (6.42kms)!

    GASPS ... of the best kind: We experienced something very unexpected and extra special! There was an opera music exam happening in the Chapel of St. Peter and St. Paul.  No pictures were allowed ...and ... we were summoned to be absolutely silent. 

    GAHS: We slipped into the pews ... and of course ... my hubby pulls out his video camera!! When I shook my head in utter dismay ... he emphatically whispered his defense in my ear!  "I am not taking pictures  ...  avideo is not a picture!!"  He only captured a second or two of video ... before one of the staff started in our direction. 

    GREAT BIG GRINS: Fortunately, we didn't get expelled for bad behavior!! Instead we were blessed with chills and goose bumps galore!!  After she was complete, we spoke with the student  who performed.  It was her final moment before her degree!! And a stellar ending to her time in school! I expect it is also the beginning of her success as a singer!  She was exceptional! 🤩

    We also got to see vestibule of The Painted Hall!  They were doing some work and much of it was hidden behind layers of scaffolding.

    GRINS: And we enjoyed a stroll through Greenwich Market and stopped in a quaint little lane for a cappuccino and a carrot cake! And then ... I mosied into a little shop and found two blouses to try on.  The lady pointed me towards the fitting room.  I opened the door ... and it was the toilet.  The other door was a closet.  It took me a moment to realize that the fitting room was the space between the two doors.  You just had to pull a curtain.  Too funny! 

    GRATITUDES: But ... better yet ... I bought both tops!  And then came across some fabulous neck pieces that are so artistic!  I  took a video to remind me of how to play with them.  Hopefully it will load so you can see how fabulous they are!!

    After that we got back on the tube ... headed home to give me a little rest and fashioned a little charcuterie board (actually it was a plate) before heading back on the tube to the theatre!!

    GROANS: I wasn't going to mention it, but we had splurged on our tickets for "Wicked" and ended up seated beside a very uppity couple from Washington DC. They seemed determined to impress us with their social status. I wish you could hear the American drawl drawl they spoke with.  We learned they had just come from Ireland too ... but found it..."well ... rather disappointing." Apparently it was just a "tourist trap".  And ... he shuddered to think that people actually drank the entire pint of Guiness that was part of the tour at the Stonehouse.  At this point ... I couldn't stop myself from asking ... with no apology for the bit of an edge in my voice: "What DID you like about Ireland?" I think he liked the history he learned at the jail. His wife ... was as quiet and timid as a mouse. I hope they find some joy in the rest of their travels!!

    Aside from the energy of our seat mates ... "Wicked" was ... dare I say ... wickedly wonderful and marvelously magical!  It brought me tears ... with that beautiful reminder ..  that I am better because I met you! 

    Sending love ... 💚💚💚
    Read more