Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    OK Falls -> Kelowna

    August 16, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    Short drive from OK Falls to Kelowna. Unfortunately forest fires meant visibility was still pretty rubbish, so missed out on some good views.

    Stared the day off with a short hike along the edge of the lake, then jumped into Bertha (we’ve finally named the RV).

    Stopped off in Penticton, a town on the south of Okanagan lake and home to Ironman Canada. They claim to be the endurance sports capital of Canada, but we saw 0 cyclists/runners/swimmers in our time there, so not sure we believe that. The plan was to do a swim in the sea, but the choppy water and rubbish visibility made us reconsidered and instead got ice cream and went for (another) wine tasting.

    Then drove for another 30 mins and stopped off in Peachland. (Confusingly the giant peach photo was in Penticton, no idea why that was there). Cute small town on side of the lake. Had some chips, wandered around the pier and then went to a Bavarian themed pub, because we’re all about the local Canadian culture.

    Then finished up in Kelowna, which is a mega city compared to everywhere else we’ve stayed. City of 130,000, but more drive throughs than the UK put together (probably). Stayed in a lovely park on a farm outside the city centre.

    That evening we headed in Kelowna and found the craft beer neighbourhood. Really cool industrial-vibes area with microbreweries on every corner. Tried out a few different places and stumbled across an open mic night… with some questionable performances, so of course we had to drink more to get through it. Hired some electric scooters to get around the town, but you have to wear helmets and our speed was restricted, as it was our first ride, so we just looked like absolute dweebs. 🙃
    Read more