Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Kelowna -> Revelstoke

    August 17, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Big 200km drive up from Kelowna to Revelstoke. We were very lucky and this was the last day before the wild fires hit the city, so everything was normal, but pretty soon after they stated evacuating and everything was shut down.

    Up early for a lovely open water swim in the bay. Then hired bikes and head out on a ride around the city. Took the bike rental team’s route recommendations, which turned out to be a massive mistake… ended up cycling along the Highway for 30km, through the industrial heartlands of Kelowna 🙃 Oli’s seat kept on falling down, so ended up stopping at a bike shop on the way to buy an Allen key. Overall, a crap ride.

    Then head out of Kelowna. Stopped off at another winery on the way (couldn’t stop ourselves), which is when the fun started… The turn up to the vineyard was a sharp corner up a hill, and we forget we were driving a 27ft RV. Long story short, we ended up taking a big chunk out of the road (and our pride). Luckily there’s a metal cage protecting the bottom of the van and a nice passer-by stopped to help us get unstuck! But still that might be our damage deposit gone 😀

    After the vineyard, we head off to a zip line park in Oyama. Managed to catch the last tour of the day and spent 3 hours going around the forest on a bunch of zip lines. Was good fun, but shame about the smoke, as the views were pretty rubbish!

    Then set off to Revelstoke. Made one stop off on the way at the Three Valley Gap, after a recommendation from the precious RV park owner. WEIRD. INCREDIBLY WEIRD. It’s a model “Ghost Town” based on 1900s BC village, with various historical buildings that have been shipped in from across the province. They have model shops, houses etc, fully complete with terrifying doll models.

    Finally ended up at our campsite in the woods. Oli popped the hood of the RV to check something (he had no idea what he was doing) and immediately several RV dads descended upon him to give their input. Welcome to RV life.
    Read more