Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Revelstoke

    August 18, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    First day of the trip with no travelling!! Woke up in Snowforest campsite, which is in the middle of Revelstoke provincial park. Lots of bear warnings all over the campsite and posted on the walking route we wanted to do, but the campsite ranger seemed confident that we’d be completely fine on our own with no bear spray (despite all signs saying the opposite), so off we went. 45 minutes of nervous walking and a lot of elevation later we reached the viewpoint, which was an old ski jump at which lots of world records were set. Just after reaching the viewpoint we got a call from Chris our estate agent to let us know the latest drama with the flat sale… this hit about the same time as a thunder storm (talk about pathetic fallacy), which hurried us down the mountain. The upside of this was that it was pretty effective at distracting us from potential bear attacks on the way back.

    Safely back at the RV we ventured into town for some white water rafting. The fires in Kelowna were significantly worse by this point, and that in conjunction with a fire just outside of town was enough to completely cover Revelstoke in pretty thick smoke.

    Aside from lack of visibility and the smokers cough we all seemed to develop, water rafting was great fun - pretty wet with very cold (glacier fed) water. We were sharing the boat with a German family (dad and two kids) who were travelling in the opposite direction to us, and gave us a few tips for Jasper. By the time we got back to the start we were very cold, but luckily the rafting company was based in a hotel with a hot tub we got access too!! Perfect way to finish the trip.

    Oli’s highlight of the day was the giant slushy machine we found in the petrol station on the way to our next campsite…
    Read more