Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Jasper Day 1️⃣

    August 20, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Full day in Jasper, so (relatively) little driving. Woke up to an amazing sun rise and got very lucky with the campsite spot. It was absolutely freezing, which felt weird after the 40 degree heat we started with in Osoyoos.

    Started the day with “Valley of the 5 Lakes” hike, which claims to have views over (you guess it) 5 different lakes. This annoyed Katie (someone needs to get a life) as she thought some of lakes were connected, so it will now forever be known as “Valley of 4.5 lakes”. It was still freezing and Oli forgot to bring any long trousers, so ended up hiking around in pyjama bottoms like a moody teenager (see pic attached). Views were amazing and started early enough to almost have the views to ourselves.

    Then head off to Lake Edith. Did an amazing hike around the lake, with ridiculously clear blue water. There were cute log cabins all around the lake and think this is where proper locals come for their summers. Again we got really lucky and met almost no one! Finished off the hike with a swim in the lake, absolutely freezing but made us feel slightly wholesome for once.

    After the walks headed into town for food and a couple of cheeky pints in the sun. Ended up shopping for some more wine, because we clearly didn’t have enough already 🍷

    Katie couldn’t stop herself, so we ended up in the gift shop and now are the proud owners of a baby black bear, imaginatively called Jasper 🧸 She claims it’s a gift for someone else, but let’s see how long that lasts.

    Then head back to the campsite early for some incredible views over Mount Whistler (confusingly located in Jasper, not Whistler). Got some great photos of Katie looking like a real RV mum.
    Read more