Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Jasper Day 2️⃣

    August 21, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Second day in Jasper (apparently the largest National Park in the Rockies, who knew 🤷‍♀️).

    Started with a 50km drive to Maligne Lake and luckily managed to escape the crowds. Went for a short hike but Oli couldn’t keep his eyes open. Turned out he’d taken some industrial strength Canadian sleeping pills the night before and as a result, became a walking zombie for 24 hours! He went back to nap in the camper van for an hour (benefit of driving your hotel room around) while Katie went to the lake to be wholesome and read. Lake was beautiful and the tour boats were very Wes Anderson-esque. Was quiet when we stared but by the time we left it was like bloody Piccadilly Circus, so we jumped ship!

    Then went off to see Maligne Canyon, confusingly nowhere near Maligne Lake. Again absolutely heaving. Hiked up for a bit, grabbed lunch (and wine) and then sprinted back down.

    Headed off to the Jasper Skytram, which is a glorified gondola up a mountain. Apparently one of the best things to do in Jasper, but we chose a day full of smoke and fog, so the visibility was absolutely f**k all. Honestly we saw more from the campsite. But the ride was fun and we witnessed a proposal! God knows why he chose to do it on top of a mountain with fog everywhere. Maybe he was going to push her down the mountain if she said no 🤔

    Finished off the day with a wildlife tour around Jasper. Really should have been called the Elk Tour. Spent 4 hours on the bus and saw loads of Elk, in town and on the side of the road, a few deer and not much else. Guide was interesting at least, but we really went to see some 🧸🐻 and we failed.

    Finished off the evening with some questionable Mexican food from the campsite!
    Read more