Satellite
  • Day 6

    Naples, Italy

    August 12, 2016 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    First time in a long time I've got off at Naples Italy 🇮🇹, and I'd forgotten what an interesting city it is.
    I know it can be a bit rough around the edges and a bit scruffy in places, but there is plenty to see.
    Once again you don't have to do any expensive excursions from the ship or even by local taxi or tour operators.
    Within 10 minutes walk from the ship you come across Castello Nuovo, which is a medieval castle and museum, the Teatro di San Carlo, which was built in 1737 and is the oldest theatre in the world to have continuously shown operatic performances right up to this day.
    Further along from the theatre you come across the
    Piazza del Plebiscito, or referendum square, with the Basilica Reale San Francesco di Paola, which is a beautiful Catholic Church, with a dome and pillars reminiscent of the Vatican. On the opposite side of the piazza is the Royal Palace which is now a museum, and for a very reasonable charge of €4, you can wander around the very rooms the bourbon kings and queens of Italy used to live. And my god did they have an opulent lifestyle.
    With the fabulous main staircase of carved marble, leading up to the private rooms of the King ♔ and Queen ♕.
    These rooms where amazing with the doors being works of art in themselves, with hand painted classical designs.
    So once again for not a lot of money and just close to the port, there are lots of beautiful things to see.
    Read more