Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Capitol, BEP and Chinatown

    October 5, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    We started our day with a buffet breakfast at our accommodation at Hampton Inn. It was a sumptuous selection.

    We then headed straight off to Capitol. We were given a thirteen minute video orientation called "Out of Many, One." I particularly enjoyed how they summarised the process involved in selecting the site for building the nation's capital back when it was newly founded.

    We were then guided into "the compass," inside the Capitol's Crypt. It is the very centre of Washington DC. From there, it is the basis for the design of Washington DC's layout and road configuration.

    Then we were led into the temple of Liberty. It was such a high ceiling wonder. The painting in the ceiling featured George Washington sitting amongst thirteen angels and beside him was Lady Liberty and Freedom. The tour guide also mentioned that certain extra special dignitaries get a viewing there before being laid to their final rest, and Presidents get sworn into power there too. Then there were statues of icons and personalities surrounding the temple that the states selected to represent themselves. And several significant paintings depicting important parts of American history, for example, Pocahontas and her marriage.

    John, our tour guide, spared us a few more minutes to get more snapshots outside the USA's Capitol. Then he took us to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

    There we were toured in the facility that produced around 800000 USD worth of $1, $2, 5$ notes every week. First the notes get printed with green ink then with black, then allowed to dry for about a day, and then the engraving and attachment of seals will take place. Then the notes will pass through imaging tests to ensure accuracy and that security features are in place, and afterwards will be processed through sharp guillotines to be cut into notes. Continuing on, we also got to see an exhibition of $1000000 in $10 notes, and the photos of how the notes were manually produced and meticulously double checked one by one by people employed to do exactly just that back in the good old days.

    Our tour in Washington DC was finalised with another lunch buffet in an Asian Fusion restaurant. It had a water feature entrance. My sister and I rushed through it so we could buy some items in Best Buy as the tour operated on it usual timetable. Marn Chowns bought her headphone, and I got some extra SD storage for my photos and videos.

    We slept a lot during the four hour drive back to New York. Then, after being dropped off at Chinatown, Tita Agot brought us to this ice creamery that we thoroughly enjoyed. The flavours I chose were almond cookie and Thai tea and they tasted very genuine, fresh, and the cream texture was luxurious. My sister and I agreed it was very reminiscent of Dooley's ice cream in Australia's Great Ocean Road! What a great way to end our day out.

    When we got back to Tita Agot's home, she made us a sumptuous dinner-- a salmon soup that just had the right amount of piquancy.
    Read more