Satellite
  • Day 17

    Bakeshops, Statue of Liberty & Shopping

    October 6, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Tito Pete was our chauffeur for the day, he is the husband of one of tita Josette's close friends. He was very generous spending his whole day with us today. We particularly enjoyed his sense of humour and he was very down to earth too!

    My sister enjoyed watching the TV show Cake Boss and today we located Carlos's bakeshop. It was located in a street where there were some ongoing constructions. Their cannolis and lobster tails were very delicious, the pastries were surprisingly crispy and rich cream fillings with just the right sweetness.

    After that, we went to the Filipino bakery and shop. My sister and I were reminded of our childhood days when we went to Goldilocks foodshoppe in Cubao. We used to have some cold treats there such as sago at gulaman when we finished our dental visits.

    Tito Pete then took us to Hamilton Park in New Jersey. It was an ideal vantage point offering 180 degree views of the Manhattan Skyline. We were surprised as there were no tourists there to compete with us for such a view.

    Then we headed off to the Liberty State Park. There we saw the now defunct entry point of immigrants or visitors to the USA. I remembered Saoirse Ronan's film, Brooklyn, when, in one scene, she was filled with trepidation, about to start a new life in a new country, and she was queuing in the exact location, waiting for her passport to be stamped by a border officer.

    We boarded our ferry service, Miss Gateway, towards Lady Liberty. On the way we picked up more tourists from Ellis Island. My sister and I thought that it would have been nice to visit the immigration museum if we had more time, maybe for another visit.

    Lady Liberty stood tall, dignified but graceful. She looked indifferent to time, unaffected by the current state her nation is in. But her presence attracts a sense of stillness and wonder.

    It was a hot, sunny afternoon. The ferry had a covered area but to get the best photos with Lady Liberty, we had to sit under the sun. We had two chances to get it right, one was on the way to the Liberty Island and the next was on the way back to New Jersey.

    We then drove off to Jersey Gardens at the Mills. It was an outlet mall. We had some lunch at Sbarro, and we were surprised they had rice meals, and even baked tilapia. They were quite delicious. Then we did some shopping. I thought my $7 shirts were already a good bargain, but my sister and auntie found $1.90 shirts. I also managed to get some swimming gear, cheaper than stocks back in Australia. We finished the spree with some Hagen Dazs and some chicken fingers, fries and onion rings.

    By the time we got back to my auntie's place, my dad's voice was tired, and hoarse. It was really nice that he and tito Pete had a great time chatting. Dad even said he did not notice the time went by as their conversations were that entertaining.

    When we got back to Tita Agot's place, there was some food from her friend/neighbour/workmate Tita Olive--tomato beef stew.
    Read more