Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    At the Speed of a Shinkansen

    November 20, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    The following day, we reserved our bullet train tickets on the Google app called Smart EX.

    After we had our breakfast, we finalised our packing and cleaned up the unit. We later received a message of thanks from the AirBnB host. Apparently we left the apartment in a pristine state.

    It was a cloudy day outside, with some intermittent bouts of sunshine forecasted.

    We obtained some obligatory photos with our accommodation prior to leaving.

    At Shin-Osaka station, my sister redeemed our tickets from the machines with the Smart EX logo. It was a smooth process. We then had a quick lunch at Starbucks. Plenty of salarymen and women having their lunch breaks. People engaging in conversations, doing their studies or doing some reading. I sat by the window watched the people passing by. Some were rushed, others were relaxed, others were waiting for their travel companions.

    We had a groupfie by the entrance gates and held up the pedestrian traffic. Plenty of people but they were all very patient and understanding.

    We observed how the inside of the station looked like an airport terminal. But like everything else in Japan, despite the amount of people, it was orderly.

    The anticipation was mounting. We had all seen the Shinkansen a few times before (in media), but there is something truly exciting knowing we will be able to ride it soon.

    The train traveled at the maximum speed of 185 mph. It was like an in-flight service, with an attendant offering hot and cold drinks. It was very interesting to note that whenever staff changes in-between carriages, they turn to face the guests and do a slight bow. Respect.

    Mount Fuji was passed by. Unfortunately there was a thick cloud blanketing the area and we could not see anything, so we did not feel as bad that we were seated on the wrong side of the train.

    It was windy and cloudy when we arrived in Tokyo. The sun was setting and the temperature was dropping. Fortunately our host picked us up from the train station. Taka must have waited for a while as we struggled to locate where we must meet him.

    We were warmly welcomed despite the windy weather. There were two taxis reserved to accommodate our luggage. Mom and I were surprised when the taxi driver replied to her in Filipino. She asked if there was snow coming to Tokyo, to which he replied, "hindi pa, " (not yet). He revealed that his wife was a Filipina.

    Our host oriented us to the amenities and garbage disposal and check out procedures, while offering us some snacks. He also explained about the transportation, food and shops nearby.

    We rested and put our legs up while deciding what to have for dinner. In the brochure of one of the local malls, I came across a photo of Hinai Chicken Oyakodon with a little snippet of what it is. We all wanted to try it.

    Akihabara was much more relaxed than when my sister and I visited it for the first time three years ago. Akihabara UDX, a shopping centre, was already lined with Illuminations ready for the Christmas season.

    Hinai Chicken Oyakodon was a real treat. The chicken was moist and tender and had a deep, smoky finish. This was complemented with egg and soy with delicate seasoning laid on top of perfectly steamed rice. It was simple and yet very memorable. They say that Hinai chicken is slow raised, resulting in its signature tender yet chewy texture. It was so highly prized that they used to offer them to shogun warlords.

    We dropped by the nearby grocery store to purchase some breakfast items. I saw a Hershey's chocolate cereals while looking for Dad's oatmeal. My sister bought a Haagen Dazs ice cream sandwich. Mom and Sis also bought some daifuqu (a fish shaped pastry filled with sweet bean filling) just around the corner from our accommodation.

    Before we turned in for the night, we took our family silhouette portrait with the Tokyo Skytree in the distance. And like the instructions on our window, we admired it quietly as it gleamed.
    Read more