Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Marunouchi Ekimae Square and Godzilla

    April 24, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Today we had another breakfast care of 7-11. We had some rice and microwave mackerel and some soft boiled egg.

    We decided to finally visit the popular Tokyo Station. It was only a few stops away from our accommodation.

    Tokyo Station, is the largest train terminal station in Japan, is known as the gateway to the capital city.

    Tokyo Station's Marunouchi Gate side is made of red brick. It is officially known as the Tokyo Station Marunouchi Honya (Main Building), which was designated as a National Important Cultural Property in 2003. It was built around 1914.

    We then decided it was time for lunch. We entered a nearby mall called Kitte Marunouchi. We saw a cafe/restaurant in the upper floor but on checking their menu they were only serving curry rice and it didn't suit our hankerings for set meals.

    We headed back to the ground floor where we saw a few more restaurants. We finally saw an establishment whose name translates to
    Misthouse and they specialise in Japanese seafood.

    Mom and I ordered the grilled mackerel set meal, whereas dad had some crumbed fried chicken and my sister had some crumbed pork cutlet drizzled with miso sauce. It our first time trying Chawanmushi, our meals all came with it. It is soft boiled custard egg with surprise savoury bits of with a hit of umami from a sliver of oyster. There was a salad as well. They were all very delicious which we all thoroughly enjoyed.

    After we said our thanks for our meal, we then decided to secure our tickets for tomorrow's trip to Mt Fuji area. So we headed to Shinjuku Express Highway bus station and purchased the tickets. Afterwards, dad needed to buy some Japanese Yen to use for buying some goods for family back home, so we located the Ninja Money Exchanger as they have the best rates in Tokyo. Afterwards we visited the nearby Korean town to obtain some aloe vera juice supplies while mom and dad enjoyed a late afternoon tea in Starbucks in Kabukicho Tower.

    We then decided to have and easy dinner as we are going to have an early start tomorrow. There was a KFC just across the road. Unfortunately they didn't have the noodle dish we tried last time we were in Tokyo. We had their Chicken Katsu Burger instead. It will have to do the job of sustaining us through the night.

    As we walked back to Shinjuku station, we walked past Kabukicho Road where the King of the Monsters, Godzilla, is menacing Hotel Gracery. Plenty of tourists enjoying the view of the hero/anti-hero giant.

    We then dropped by 7-11 on our way home to grab some easy breakfast as well as something to nibble on during our trip tomorrow.
    Read more