Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Finding Our Neighbour Totoro

    April 26, 2023 in Japan ⋅ 🌧 15 °C

    As forecasted, it was raining today. We all planned for my sister and me to brave the rain to head to the place where Totoro was most likely conceived by the great mind of the one and only Hayao Miyazaki.

    We had a sleep in today as my sister's appointment with Kurosuke's House -- Totoro's Fund is not until 1pm and mom and dad will be resting and will join us when we return to Tokyo to shop for some souvenirs to take home.

    We enjoyed our usual convenience store breakfast and then my sister and I headed to Yotsuya-Sanchome station. We had a clear plastic umbrella to protect us from the rain while also giving us a chance to still appreciate our surroundings.

    We made our way to Fukutoshin line, which consequently took us to Kotesashi station in Saitama prefecture. From there we took the bus headed to Waseda University. From a bus stop, it is just walking distance to Kurosuke's House. We almost went inside a house so close to what Google Maps was pointing at and we had a giggle as we

    Totoro was there, happily sitting in the tatami mat and watching the rain, looking content but also like he is about tickle you at the same time. We were greeted by a friendly lady who offered us a puzzle to crack if we wanted to.

    It was a traditional house, mostly made of wood, and had clay thatch tile roof. There were some bamboo trees and other trees around. The rain made the place even more magical, as in the animated film -- Totoro actually first appeared to Sasuki and May during a rainy evening.

    There was no one else there except for what appears to be a young Thai couple. They've done the puzzle and they were opening the treasure chest when they climbed up the meeting room in the attic.

    While my sister and I enjoyed taking photos with Totoro, the young couple also came into the same room. We helped each other take some photos of one another. They didn't stay long and once again we had the intimate moment with Totoro. We sat next to him and savoured peaceful moment with the rain.

    We purchased a few souvenirs to support the Totoro Fund. They aim to continue conserving Sayama hills and forests. Mr Miyazaki is also supporting the cause. The organisation has been started by a few locals and has thankfully garnered more supporters.

    When we were paying for our souvenirs, we saw a sign saying "feel free to take as much photos but please to not share the location in social media." My sister and I appreciated the fact that the film is very popular and should more people know about the place it will be quite overwhelming for this small establishment.

    As we walked back to the bus stop, we took a different street and we saw rows upon rows of what seems to be green tea bushes. Amidst the gloomy sky, the rain-kissed leaves were vibrant and shiny.

    At this point we were feeling peckish and so we stopped by MiniStop, another convenience store. I purchased some matcha latte paired with some sponge cake sandwich with some melon cream and melon sauce. The combination was divine! My sister had a similar treat but the bread was like a bun. She had her aloe vera drink with her. She also had a beef potato croquette and it looked enticing so she got me one too.

    Back in Tokyo we were to meet up with mom and dad in Shinjuku National Memorial Garden. My sister and I were appalled to see the gate with rail guards and the tapping areas for electronic cards. It only meant one thing. We will have to pay to enter the garden just to fetch mom and dad. There wasn't even much daylight left to enjoy the massive gardens. Anyway we decided only one of us would go in. I quickly headed to where Starbucks is while quickly getting some snaps along the way.

    Once we were all reunited, we decided to do the souvenir shopping in Akihabara instead of in Shinjuku where there always seems to be hordes if people sround. Also we hoped that the Hinai Chicken Oyakodon is still there.

    We did our shopping in Don Quijote, the same one we went to last time. It is a discount shop where you can also purchase items tax free. After that we headed to Akihabara UDX.

    Unfortunately the much coveted Hinaimoto Hinai Chicken Oyakodon has closed down, and has most likely not recovered due to the pandemic. We were sad, but also hungry, so we chose the close by seafood restaurant. Mom and my sister had the miso soy mackerel set meal, whereas dad and I had the same one but with plate of sashimi.

    We then headed back to our accommodation and tried the yellow JR train line and got off at Ochanimichu station and we saw how much more relaxed it is. Next to it is a MiniStop and we bought some breakfast. We then enjoyed the almond jelly and fruits from Takano and the peach custard from Morozoff as well as the melon parfait from Ministop. After we've finished our final dinner all together for this trip, and mom and dad did their packing.
    Read more