Satellite
  • Day 6

    Journey inside the Cango Caves

    May 22, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    A few optional activities on offer today: Cango Caves, Ostrich Farm and a bungee jump off the Bloukrans Bridge. Me? Taking it east and just exploring the caves - which I think are the best I've ever visited.

    There are set times for guided tours and several lengths you can choose. The adventurous can take the adventure tour and find themselves squeezing through tunnels, climbing and wading in some water I think. For most of us though, the standard though is simply out of this world. Each cavern you visit if lit, and by lit, it looks unreal, like you're on a movie set. When you first enter, there are dim path lights but once the guide flips the switch, one can't help but stare in wonder and amazement at the stalactites and stalagmites.

    I probably lack the words to adequately explain this place, pictures do it best, but even then, it's best to see it in person.

    Our stop for tonight is in the town of Stormsrivier at the Tsitsikamma Village Inn. I normally don't write about our accommodations, but this cute little complex takes you right back to colonial times. There are two rooms set in little houses. Some are decorated with the wrought iron bed frame, but each have a character just like the building they're in. The town itself is very very small (one could argue it could be a village). There's a few restaurants including a 50s diner but otherwise not much for shoppers. However, the Tsitsikamma National Park is nearby, making this a great base.
    Read more