Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Tsitsikamma National Park

    May 23, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    There's a fair number of national parks on this tour, and today we headed to the Tsitsikamma National Park, located right off the Indian Ocean. The path starts off fairly easy along a boarded pathway, and then we crossed the suspension bridge and began to climb and climb. Like what we've seen so far, the scenery is simply beautiful and peaceful. We're here in low season, the African winter. For us North Americans and Europeans though, this weather is just right. And there's plenty of sun to boost. It rains here in the African summer which is our winter. Strange huh, I'm still trying to wrap my head about it.

    We didn't cross paths with many animals on our walk, but did come head to head with a baboon on the way back. What does one do when faced with said baboon? Well, we kind of froze and stood still, before yours truly whips out the camera for a photo and proceeds to follow the baboon with my GoPro after he passes. He moves quick enough that I don't catch a close shot. Of course, that might be for the best.

    Lunch was a funny affair as most of our group ordered a beet root salad. It was delicious and appropriately light while dining by the ocean. As we waited, I headed outside to take some photos of the high waves.

    A relaxing afternoon by the pool while others went kayaking. I've never been a watersport person, maybe it's because I know I'm not a good swimmer. Maybe one day, it would be nice to explore nature more deeply along the water.
    Read more