Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    Day 49 Lake Kununurra

    June 1, 2019 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    Today we went on a boat tour of Lake Kununurra up to Lake Argyle.
    In the morning Jess, Dad and Mum drove out to a market where Jess bought a peregrine falcon toy and a cupcake.
    After they returned we walked down to the front of the caravan park to wait for the Triple J tour bus to pick us up. The bus took us out to the local marina where we boarded a boat that took us up Lake Kununurra. In the boat we saw lots of birds and crocodiles... we even saw a rock wallaby.
    We stopped for lunch on the river bank where I may have had slighty too much soft drink. After everyone had finished lunch we returned back to the boat to head out to Lake Argyle.
    Lake Argyle is a huge man-made freshwater dam used for irrigation and hydro electricity. The dam wall is almost 100m high and is made up completely of earth and rocks... a nearby mountain was actually exploded to make up the fill. A sign at the base of the dam wall says "faith in a pile of stones".
    We got off the boat at Lake Argyle and were transferred to a bus which then took us to the Argyle Homestead. The original homestead was built in 1895 at a site that is now in the middle of Lake Argyle. Constructed of handcrafted limestone blocks with crushed termites mounds used as mortar, it was a magnificent building for its time. The homestead was dismantled stone by stone and moved to its current site to be used as a museum dedicated to the pioneering spirit of the Durack Family.
    After we had finished looking around the homestead we all got onto the bus, but it turned out the bus had a flat battery so we had to wait an extra half an hour for the mechanics to arrive to fix the bus.
    With the bus finally fixed we headed back out to our caravan park. Tomorrow we are going to explore more of the area.
    Read more