Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Hanoi Meracus 2 Day 1

    August 20, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    What a couple of days it has been. As we dragged ourselves out of bed at two o clock yesterday morning, both of us were not prepared for the ordeal we were about to face. But, three flights and around 30 hours later, we are sat drinking cold beers on our hotel bed, and the drunken men on the plane and delayed flights seem like they happened a long time ago.
    It started with a short trip to Copenhagen which went quickly due to us both sleeping most of the way. That was the calm before the storm.
    Next up, 11 hours on a plane from Denmark to Bangkok, and we both learnt very quickly that 11 hours is a very long time. Whether it be a the scariest looking man in the World sitting three seats away, or the incredibly drunk and incredibly talkative man sat in the seat next to Amy (thankfully for me), the first few hours certainly dragged. As if sent from heaven, the smell of aeroplane food soon filled our nostrils. The disappointment when we found out we weren't getting any made our hunger ten times worse then it previously was. 30 euros and two sandwiches later, we decided it was time to resort to the drugs. A melationin tablet later and we awoke with half the time left, and after a few films we were finally i Bangkok, ready for the easy trip to Hanoi.
    Three hours to boarding, our flight is cancelled. We brace ourselves for the worst, but soon find out we only have a two hour delay. Not ideal, but after an 11 hour flight certainly not nice. Seven hours after leaving the flight from hell, and one smashed iPhone later (Amy's fault, not mine), we board the small plane to Hanoi. We are sat near the emergency exits, which means extra leg room. The flight is two hours long and we sleep through most of it, before finally reaching Hanoi!
    The drive to the hotel is an eye opener. Horns blare every second as cars fly by each other, sometimes inches away from a crash. Mopeds fly through every gap they see, and we both close our eyes and prey for the best. It is something that will take getting used to, but it seems every one driving already has. The chaos we feel seems perfectly normal to them, and they all drive as calmly as we do at home, despite the crazy conditions.
    We eventually make it to the hotel, which after the previous 30 hours is a Godsend. The Hanoi Meracus 2 is lovely. The staff treat us very well, and the tranquillity you get from walking off the busy street into the peaceful foyer seems unreal.
    Time for our first taste of Pho. Let the adventure begin!
    Read more