Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Hanoi Meracus Day 2

    August 21, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Our first full day in Hanoi and already the hustle and bustle we witnessed on the way in yesterday seems less chaotic. After a few attempts we realised crossing the roads needed a bit of patience and a bit of bravery and that's about it. After we got the hang of it, we set off exploring Hanoi. First, Hoan Kiem lake. We took a morning stroll around the lake, getting great views of the Ngoc Son Temple. The sun was boiling, but a soft breeze came off the lake which felt like bliss when sat on the side. Despite the chaotic nature of this city, when sat on the lake with the breeze blowing into your face, it felt calm, as if we had walked miles and not metres from our hotel.
    After the walk we took a long stroll to Hao Lo Prison. It is hard to describe the prison. Interesting and harrowing in equal measure. It put into great insight what the people of Vietnam have suffered and pays testament to the people who fought the cruelty of the French colonies and treated the American prisoner of wars so kindly, even allowing them basketball games and Christmas celebrations.
    We then went to eat. After a meal of noodle last night and Pad Thai for breakfast (with a side of spring rolls) we decided to try Pho, a Vietnamese dish consisting of rice noodles in a broth with strips of beef. It did not disappoint, full of flavour. Now just to learn how to use chopsticks!
    Read more