Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 111

    Banmeesuko, Phitsanulok, Day 2

    December 8, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    We wake up in Phitsanulok early for our free breakfast. it is an odd rice soup dish which tastes very good, but it is far too early and we go straight back to bed. It is a few hours later and nearly reaching midday by the time we decide to head out and explore the town/city? a bit. There isn't much to do apart from a few temples to look around, so we head off in their direction. For a few seconds we are heading the right way, but we decide to turn around after consulting the map. We are both hungry and walking down roads that are pretty deserted for around 20 minutes before we realise we're heading out of town into what looks like nothing much, so we turn around again and start heading the correct way.
    After about half an hour of walking we find somewhere to eat. A tiny place serves a good Pad Thai for 30 baht, and it tastes good, but we were so hungry anything would have done. The walk continues, and after about 45 minutes we find ourselves at the cluster of temples. The walk there is nice, as you get to walk alongside a lake, off the road so it is nice and quiet. It is another incredibly hot day though, and opportunities for shade are fleeting at best.
    The temples are nice, and I feel we would appreciate them a lot more if we hadn't already been out here so long and seen so many, especially the ones at Angkor.
    We don't actually head back into the temples, but just have a quick walk outside before heading back on the long walk down the other side of the river and back to the hotel. It is a long, tedious walk and a pack of dogs decide we aren't very welcome down their street. Thank God Amy is here as she seems to know how to deal with them, while i go into flight mode and start running, which only makes them chase me more. We arrive back unscathed thanks to Amy and her dog whispering, and relax in the air con for a bit.
    The last time we head out we go for food at the same place as last night, mostly due to lack of options. We've kind of had enough of the small towns and change our plans for tomorrow, when we will now head to Chiang Mai. A live band was promised but a power cut means they aren't coming anymore, so we head back to the hotel and prepare for our long train journey that starts at 7.30 tomorrow.
    Read more