Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Mandalay

    November 22, 2017 in Myanmar

    I had no idea just how much there was to see in Mandalay. Sadly, I didn't have nearly enough time but I had good go at seeing as much as possible.

    I arrived quite early in the morning and was met by my driver David. He knew all the places I wanted to go and made sure we did them in a way that meant we could maximise the day. One tip, don't try to walk up Sagaing Hill in the heat - 350 steps doesn't sound like a lot but when it's hot and humid, it's a lot!

    There were so many beautiful temples to visit - my favourites were the old teak ones - the craftsmanship of the carvings inside and out were just stunning. Some of the new temples are so garish and over the top and yet they still were beautiful in their own way. At least they are used and people visit often.

    There were pink-robed nuns lining up for lunch and the world’s Biggest Book, Kuthodaw Paya, - 729 inscribed marble slabs, each one in a small stupa of its own. The sight was incredible, row upon row of similar structures, lined up as far as you could see. TThey were impressive – you only realise the scale when you see the model that shows how they are laid out.

    Of course, there are two things that mustn't be missed in Mandalay - sunset on Mandalay Hill (be ready for lots of tourists) and Ubien Bridge at sunset (ditto). It's worth paying to go out on a boat to watch the sunset - the bridge was completely packed with locals and tourists. Make sure you book ahead for a boat - if you turn up on the day you may not get a seat.

    Of course a visit to the ancient capital of Inwa (Ava) and a bone-jarring ride on a horse-drawn carriage is a must. It's a stunning place full of ancient ruins and really bad dirt roads.

    The royal palace is a replica, having been bombed mercilessly by the British, but it is definitely worth visiting to see how the royal family lived. The small museum is exquisite and includes a glass four poster bed from France commissioned by King Thibaw.

    This is only a small sample of what I managed to pack into two days - I only wish I had longer to savour this amazing city and all it's treasures.
    Read more