Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Farewell Folegandros

    September 12, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    How do you say goodbye to paradise? The Autumn winds are starting to blow up from the sea and the temperatures are getting a little cooler here now. By the end of September, all the tourists on Foligandros will have gone home and the shops will be closed.

    The island of Santorini and the town of Oia where we were staying on the edge of the caldera represent the sophisticated Greek Island. It's stunningly beautiful, especially at sunset and a bit polished. Having said that it doesn't take away from it's charm. It's still very much Greece so the food is amazing and things move at a slower pace.

    Folegandros on the other hand is how all these small islands would have been 30 years ago. It's small, half the price of Santorini and the locals still sit in the evenings watching the passing parade of tourists and wondering what we're all doing here.

    The island is quieter and less sophisticated which is it's charm. Food is cheaper and everything pretty much closes in the afternoon for a couple of hours. It's also stunning as the cliffs surrounding the main town Chora, fall dramatically in a series of terraces down to the sea.

    Our little villa has a view over the town and up to the whitewashed church above us. It's a lovely place and we're a little sad to be heading back to the hustle and bustle of London before the next phase of the trip, Portugal.
    Read more