Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Lakes, Forests, more Lakes, more Forests

    September 11, 2021 in Lithuania ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Since we went to bed early last night (our typical traveling rhythm – tired early in the evening, wide awake at sunrise) we're up for an early swim (me that is), small breakfast and out on the road early.
    Today's goal is to put in a driving day to take us to Lithuania's eastern border with Belarus and as far North as we can get. We want to get all the way to North Eastern Estonia during this round trip. So it is less Greenlaning and more back road gravel and broken asphalt.

    The traffic is far less compared to Poland (which already had far less traffic than Germany) except for the small towns. Since this is Saturday it is flea- and farmer markets day and we find a wide variety of fruit, vegetable and things we don't need. Again (as every time we travel into Lithuania) we feel completely helpless when it comes to the Lithuanian language...until we realize (again) that most of the people speak English more or less.

    During the day again we realize that going straight forward deprives us of so many beautiful impressions and we decide to return to our spontaneous lake hopping mode. It still needs some time until we realize that this is a holiday trip and fixed goals are worth nothing.
    Read more