Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Latvian Smoke Sauna...

    September 12, 2021 in Latvia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    If you follow our track on the map you will have realized by now that our way is not along the most touristy destinations. We decided to search for those nature gems in the more remote areas of Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.

    Still backroad riding takes a lot of time and resilience against potholes, gravel tracks and bumpy patches (not to speak of the 4x4 challenges) and we decide that we have deserved a special treat. So we book a small former farm house on a large horse keeping ranch with a...Latvian Smoke Sauna!

    This is supposed to be a very healthy way to practice the Sauna ritual, still it is not made for people that like light and sterile places.
    The traditional smoke Sauna was a place for smoking fish and meat during the week and "smoking" humans during the weekend celebrations. As the open fire is started in the Sauna to heat the massive pile of rocks, the water basin and the birch whips it takes about 4-5 hours to prepare.

    We gave our best and enjoyed the Sauna for more than two hours and today all the towels still smell freshly smoked - and so do we.

    Honestly - it is great to have a fixed bed for a night or two and we decide to spend another day at this wonderful place (besides they have WiFi in the main building - 1,5 Kilometers away and it it is good to do some walking exercises out here).
    Read more