Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    The world meets here

    February 7, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Today we hiked out to the far South Eastern Casa do Sardinha.

    The one-hour-drive is either through endless tunnels or countless curves. This time we decided for the tunnels and I truly admit - curves are much more fun and will stay my favorite way of traveling (wish I had a motorcycle for a day or so😉)

    Again we started a little late (this seems to be the motto for this trip) and when we reached the starting point of the hike at least half of the actual tourist community was either starting or returning.

    We got into the lineup and followed the flow of tourists. While it was somewhat awkward in the beginning the stunning views soon helped us to forget that we were in a constant flow of international tourists.

    Very special were the moments when we were taking a little break sunbathing out on the boulders just to realize that the dozens of Lizards living around us were "attacking" us for some food leftovers.
    Suddenly the cries of a couple of Skuas and the Lizards dashed back into their safe crevices.

    Lazy as we were we skipped the steep path up to Miradouro Ponta do Furtado, had a coffee and a beer instead and started our multi lingual way back to the starting point - collecting another dozen of unforgettable fotos on the way.

    Before we got on the "highway" to take us back to our hut in Ponta Delgada (this time taking the way along Funchal and across the island on the middle connection) we stopped at a small roadside restaurant.
    There was only one "peixe do dia" left and did not regret waiting until the chefe de cozinha had performed his magic.
    What can we say? Excellent dinner, good glass of wine, a nice view and a good mooded and friendly service - what else could we ask for.

    During the drive back we realized one more time that the weather on Madeira never seems what it looks on first glance. When we started at the far eastern tip of the island it looked like the rest was covered in haze. The further south-west we got the more the sun seemed to shine and it looked like the north was doomed with rain clouds - which vanished the more north we got and for the first time during this journey we able to have a drink sitting out on the porch viewing what almost looked like a sunset.
    Read more