Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Height of throne

    February 8, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    We always have wondered why the thrones of leaders and emporers are in gloomy halls filled with arms and treason. Wouldn't it be much more inspiring to see world with all its beauty and glory from the stool of power?

    Well, during our travels we have discovered several truly inspiring thrones - one of them on our morning challenge.

    Underestimating the steepness of the mountain just behind our house we decided to "hike" up to one of the waterfalls.
    Turned out to become a challenging climb over rolling rocks, fallen trees and through blackberry bushes and we had to realize that coming up was one challenge, getting back down a totally new adventure.

    Nevertheless we discovered a true visionary's throne and the rewarding view it had to offer.

    Second round was hiking through the National Forrest of Laurel trees - a beautiful area with a magnificent view down on the breaking surf of the north coast, in complete silence.

    Dinner (tasty, friendly, competent - what else would you expect) on the way home in a restaurant down at the coast in the spray of the thundering surf.

    Final drink at the local bar and the wisdom of the day that the throne may make a leader and service staff is extraordinary on Madeira - at least according to what we encounter in Berlin regularly.
    Read more