Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    We took the path less traveled

    February 11, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Final hiking day, special challenges.
    As we start into this new day the weather seems awful - deep hanging wet clouds fill up our cove. But we have learned that weather is the most volatile fact on Madeira and off we go. Against all odds we plan to do a high plains hike today and are rewarded with the sunniest hike of this trip. Although the drive up to the highlands is not very promising it all changes the minute we pass through the clouds and blistering sun, blue skies and a clear view are awaiting us.

    Anke has mapped out a wonderful round trail except for the fact that it exists in our hiking app only. Since the park authorities seemed to have reorganized the cleared and marked trails our especially desired round trip is vanished and left to be recovered by the wilderness.
    As we never care for prepared and marked trails we try to follow our mapped trail anyway.

    The reward is a very scin scratching experience through Ginter, brambles, thistles and thorns. And, due to the sunny weather and clever as I am, I had changed to short sleaves and Bermudas at the parking lot before we entered the trail.

    Doing some real scouting for a change was real fun though and we know why we love to go cross country whenever we can.

    One last visit to a restaurant high over thundering surf, one last typical Madeiran fish dinner, a last Poncha, Coffee and Fare-the-well at our local bar, the last open fire to dry out our wet camp in the evening and slowly but surely our minds are set for packing up and heading home tomorrow to a minus three degrees winter Berlin is awaiting us with.
    Read more