Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Landed in Sweden

    July 26, 2017 in Sweden ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    I really am impressed by people who travel with their children. Friends Sandie and Mel have done this recently. It's hard enough looking after yourself, sleeping, eating and drinking for 21+ hours. But we made it - our holiday has started and a healthy breakfast will get me going.

    This is how we travelled. First, the Virgin flight out of Hobart was 30 mins late - why are we not surprised? Melbourne departure lounge was under renovations [again] making it hard for Mary to shop ... Singapore Airlines were terrific - stewards were very friendly and helpful. We had been flying for sometime when Mary looked over to me as I was following the flight path on the screen - we have just passed Adelaide ... only 8 more hours to get to Singapore. It always gets to me how long it takes to leave Australia [about 6 hours to cross over Broome]. Singapore airport was great for shopping, lovely and clean. Then we took off for Moscow. Those crazy Russians use the full alphabet for place names, but they mainly concentrate on the letters at the end of the alphabet. I can try to work out names with 2 or 3 syllables ... but names like ZHEZKAZGAN make it hard.

    Moscow airport was disappointing for two reasons - dirty and messy for a start, but poorly organised. We got off our flight, were given Transfer Cards, and about 200 of us had to go down, around, back again without leaving the concourse, but still had to line up at one counter to check in, 5 other counters were not manned, and go through three passport checks and scanners again. Phew!

    Arrived in Stockholm carrying Vegemite, Tim Tams and Wagon-wheels and not a customs officer in sight in the "items to declare" line - so we went straight through.

    The Pop house Hotel is great, who would have thought we would stay here - a couple of Super Troupers, what's that music I hear ...?

    I went to bed early, Mary went out partying with Grace - breakfast finished, now I'm off to explore Stockholm and then go to a midsummer party tonight!

    Had my first beer, a Visby Lager - made in Gotland, not bad but hope for better.

    Cheers.
    Read more