Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Aint no mountain high enough .....

    August 2, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    I booked a Buckingham Palace tour for tomorrow, so for today we went into central London and do some shopping and museum visits.

    Took the rail to Kings Cross Station and sought out our next London Hotel and the Hertz Rental Car depot in Russell Square. We return to London in late August and I like to know where we are going beforehand if possible. We have stayed in Russell Square on the last two visits to London and love the area. Having walked past the British Museum so many times, I have always wanted to go inside - so a trip to the museum was essential.

    What a magnificent building both outside and inside. We walked past an unbelievable collection of antiquities - some from 6,000BC. We were amazed at the skill of the craftsmanship from so long ago - both small pieces and huge statues. Definitely worth a visit if you like old things.

    Next we had to decide, either go to another museum [Peter] or go shopping [Mary]. We couldn't decide so we just walked around London, ending up in Coventry Gardens then Leicester Square. The temptation to go to a West End Show hit us ... all the last minute stalls were offering very cheap prices. We thought we could go to Beautiful [the Carole King Story], Mama Mia or the Book of Mormon. The best seats we could get were for "Motown" and what a good choice that was. We stayed in the city and got the tube to the Shaftesbury Theatre. Great seats. We knew just about all the songs and a full theatre standing ovation at the end said it all.

    Well here we are going home on the tube at 11:00pm on a Tuesday night. There were so many people about, in bars, on the streets and on the tube. About half of them were office workers on their way home after a few pints ... what a lifestyle?

    Another great day on London - tomorrow to visit the Queen and celebrate Prince Phillip's last day on the job .... and maybe some more shopping?

    Cheers
    Read more