Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Speed Bonnie Boat ...

    August 8, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Today we have a drive from the East Coast to the West Coast of Scotland - Aberdeen to Skye. It takes about 6 hours, 3 hours to Inverness and then 3 hours to Skye.

    Up at 6:30am to catch the sunrise - our hotel is in a small coastal village and so I decided to go down to the water to get some photos. Think the sun has already been up for hours - but it is a lovely harbour - crystal clear waters.

    I thought we would drive up the main road, but secretly would have loved to go via the Cairngorms National Park. So I was happy when the Sat Nav directed us up the hills to 'the shortest route'.

    Leaving the coast was uneventful, we could have been at the back of Ulverstone, Sheffield or Colebrook in Tassie. Farming country with vivid green pastures. We were going well until we came to a diversion. First, if you have lost a roadside witches hat - have a look in Scotland, they have millions of them. Second, why is it a Diversion and not a Detour? While I'm having a go, its no use putting up a sign saying, divert via the A994, A1236 and the A97 - I'm driving at 60mph and she's on Facebook. Further, when you have a diversion or detour, put your little yellow sandwich board signs at every junction - not just the start. Despite all this, we did get through - another thing, why put up signs saying "weak bridge" - what can I do - why don't the authorities just strengthen the bridge. Rant over.

    We stopped in the middle of the Cairngorms for morning tea. I had toasted Tea Cake - it was just toasted raisin bread if you ask me - but it was good.

    Now the drive through the Park took on its uniqueness. Huge bald hills and snow lifts by the dozens. It would be a magnificent place in winter.

    Running a little late we went straight through Inverness and joined a traffic jam around Loch Ness. A convoy of trucks carrying huge transformers crawling around the side road. After 30mins, they did pull over and let the cars pass.

    The drive from Loch Ness to Skye must be one of the most magnificent drives in the world. Words cannot describe the hills, views and waterfalls on the way - just brilliant.

    Our hotel, The Kings Arms, is just over the Skye Bridge - a nice spot, but expensive over $A200 a night. For dinner, Mary found a superb restaurant in Broadford called Red Skye - great to have a break from pub food. It was 8:00pm but still light, so we took the 2 hour return drive to Portree. The Isle of Skye has to be seen to be believed. The hills are so high, rising straight from the waters edge. Portree was packed due to the annual Highland Games - pity we didn't get some accommodation there. On the way home we were presented with a brilliant sun set - back to the hotel for a whisky and a brandy, great way to round off the day.

    Tomorrow we head toward Glasgow - not sure where we will stay ... stay tuned.

    Cheers
    Read more