Satellite
  • Day 17

    You take the high road, and I'll take ..

    August 9, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    I said that the road from Inverness to Skye must be the best road trip in the world, well the drive through Glencoe must be a close second. Huge hills - no trees, just rocks and heather - sometimes reaching into the clouds.

    We started the day with a walk - over the Skye Bridge and back. Can't imagine how hard it would have been to row across in the olden times - something like Devils Gates at the mouth of Macquarie Harbour on Tassie's West Coast

    On these trips I like to leave plenty of nights unplanned - just to see what we get. I wanted to stay near Fort William but everywhere was booked out - so we decided to go near Glasgow - to a place called Greenock which looked good.

    Fort William is a beautiful place, resting at the waters edge with splendid gardens and the grass that has to be seen to be believed - such a bright green! After lunch we drove on, down the side of Loch Lomond.

    Suddenly the traffic slowed to a crawl. For the next 1.5 hours we averaged between 0 and 3 mph. Don't know why, I expect it was just a peak hour traffic jam that went all the way to the Erskine Bridge at Glasgow.

    We stayed at the Tontine Hotel. A building in the old part of town, sandstone walls and built over 200 years ago. Inside it is beautifully restored - looks magnificent. A word to management, next time you renovate, please add a lift and air conditioning !

    Today we travel around the coast near Glasgow, then on to visit our friends Rosemary & John.

    Cheers
    Read more