Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Mary's Birthday present

    August 11, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    After several days of long drives around the highlands of Scotland, today was going to be a short day in the car. A little sightseeing around the coast near Glasgow - a place called Largs. The houses with views out to sea and their grand designs were picture card perfect - what a place to live. But I do wonder how cold it would get in winter.

    Stopped for morning tea and Mary remembered that an artist she had followed on Facebook lived nearby. He specialises in painting famous musicians - including Mary's most loved Leonard Cohen. Well its her birthday soon although I am taking her to Venice for her birthday and maybe River Dance in Dublin for her birthday and the corgi dog from Buckingham Palace was for her birthday and the .... anyone who knows me would know that I love celebrating birthdays so why not another gift?

    Gordon Irving was home in his studio and invited us down to to see him at Prestwick. His work is first class and it was easy to find a painting that Mary loved. Birthday sorted - again.

    Last night we had a great meal at the Tontine Hotel (Tontine is an investment group - not pillow manufacturers) but the eye fillet steak was not a patch on what we get at the Lenah Valley RSL.

    We called into a Sainsbury store for alcohol - not groceries by the way and were pleased to see that they were supporting Guide Dogs as their charity - especially with a nice big bucket for money at the checkout counters - some good ideas for us in Tassie there.

    Tomorrow we spend a day with Rosemary and John, another quiet day because I do have to be up on Saturday morning at 5am to here Geelong beat Richmond !!!!

    Cheers,
    Read more