Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    The Danes of Manchester

    August 15, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    While my Grandfather, his second wife, his brother [Uncle Puff], two sons and his nephew left India in 1947 [at the partition of India] and moved to Australia, another brother [Charles Edgar] eventually went to England and in his later years settled in Manchester. My grandfather and his family were probably more British than the British, and India at that time was not the place to be.

    Carl Dane, his two daughters, Lorraine and Amanda and son Carl are now the Danes of Manchester and I couldn't come to England and not visit them - a beautiful and loving family.

    We started the day with a trip to the City of Manchester. Not a long drive from our hotel in Oldham - around 25 minutes. Manchester is a real mix of buildings and spaces, some very old, some very new, some run down and some very smart. On our quick visit to the city we didn't get a good feel for the place - but you can't do everything.

    In the afternoon we visited the grave site of Marie Dane [2011] as well Charles [1970] and Jane Dane [1971].

    Time for a farewell to the Danes and of course we all got together in a Curry Restaurant thanks to Carl Dane. A great night and fond memories.

    Tomorrow we are off to Birmingham - only a 2 hour drive down the road.

    Cheers,
    Read more